Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Most Surreal Feeling

Walking out of the airport was the most surreal feeling in the world. I have been waiting for this moment for nine months and it is finally here. My emotions are on high right now. I am so happy to be here. This is the coolest thing I have done in my whole life.
The place we are staying at is called Nishtha. We are literally in the jungle. It is so cool, except for the fact that we had a mouse in our bedroom this morning. But whatever, its all apart of the experience. The people here are so nice. The food is surprisingly good. I just hope I don't get sick.
Today was our first day at the schools. First we had to take a taxi ride there. There was eight people in a five person car. It was insane. The drivers are crazy. There are absolutely no rules and I thought we were going to run over people. Anyways, once we got to the school I could see the kids hanging out of the window just waiting for us. They had these huge smiles on their faces. I was so happy to be there at that moment. I have not even met these children before but they are so excited to see me. I have never had so many hugs in one day. All these children want is some love and attention. They don't get that at home. We definitely gave that to them. I did have a hard moment today when I broke down and cried. This girl was standing off to the side and not participating in a game. Ally and I went to ask her if she wanted to play and we realized that she was crying. I could not control myself at that point and I started crying. I am a very sympathetic crier. We realized that the girl was crying because she does not get any attention and love at home so she was overwhelmed. We are probably the only people who have loved these children. I love every single one of those girls and I have only spent a few hours with them. These children are amazing!
I miss all of my loved ones back at home and I am thinking about you daily. Just know I love you and ill see you soon. Namaste!

-Holly Christensen

3 comments:

  1. It was great to hear from you! We check the Blog at least 3 times a day. We love reading about all ya'lls experiences and the wonderful work you are doing! Keep it up! Tell the drivers to slow down! Happy Thanksgiving! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm checking your blog consistantly! I'm so glad to hear your having an amazing experience!! It makes me happy, and you made my day by just reading your blog! I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete