Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Living the Dream


There is no way to explain the feeling of driving up, packed in the back of the smallest car you have ever seen, hoping that Abid and sudip will be there so I can put them on my shoulders and play with them. Or the minute you realize the girls your trying to teach verbs to finally understand it and say it back to you without any help. The feeling is unbelievable but there is no way to truly understand that unless you experience it for yourself, which is why it isn’t hard to figure out why these leaders come back year after year, so they can feel that just one more time.
I consider myself the luckiest person alive to be able to feel this feeling during these two weeks in India. Before coming on this trip i was really nervous for everything that could go wrong, and no mom i haven’t lost my passport so don’t freak out. Now that i am here though, i really don’t think about it and just kind of roll with it and know that i just have to get it done. Like today when i was in the coldest shower of my life the power suddenly went out and i just simply laughed, because it didn’t matter in the grand scale of this trip and its importance. Thankfully nothing has really gone wrong during this trip that would be big enough to cause problems to the ultimate goal of helping these people, just little things that are pretty meaningless. I am actually happy those little things happen because whenever one does happen it makes me thankful for everything i have at home and how much i took advantage of the little things that other might not have. I could go on and list them but I’m sure that would bore you so ill wait until i get home and you are obligated to sit through it and listen to me.
The thing that probably amazed me the most is how happy these kids are when yet they have so little, they find happiness in the smallest things. I have never seen a happier group of kids as these ones even though they might being going home to a clay hut jam packed with eight other members of their family. Whenever I see them they say hello and laugh with me and just seem genuinely happy to be there, that is more than i could say about when i go to school so i realize i need to be more grateful and happy.
I thought of home a little bit today for a second at breakfast and how i missed normal food that isn’t mystery meat curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then as quickly as it came my homesickness went away. I do miss my family and friends back home but i am not homesick one bit, how could i when i am loving every minute here? I love you family and will see you soon, but we both know this is good practice for things to come. Thank you so much!

With Love,
Ryan Welch

5 comments:

  1. So great to here from you! It sounds like an amazing experience.....cold water and all! Love every minute of it...it will be over too soon! So proud of your excellent positive attitude!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ry! this post is amazing, and you are amazing! I cannot wait to sit and listen to all of your incredible stories. Not only are you helping these kids immensely, but they are touching your soul and effecting you in ways that have never happened before. You are such a wonderful example to me and I love you more than anything!

    xx,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Ryan! I'm proud of you and the good work you are doing. We will not be having curry for Thanksgiving:)

    Lots of love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ry Guy!!

    We loved reading your post, please post again!! We miss you and love you so much, but we are so proud of how selfless you are being and it is awesome how much you already love these kids! This will be an experience that you will never forget. Take a ton of pictures, video, and make sure you write down your experiences somewhere so you can remember it all. We love you and can't wait to hear all about it when you get home!!!!

    All of our love,
    Beth and Landon

    P.S. I hope you found my surprise not in your food bag. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete