Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts!

It is so difficult for me to put in words how I feel right now. This has been such an amazing experience and it's only day 3! India is absolutely stunning and so are the people. The driving here is absolutely terrifying. I'm pretty sure I've had about 4385794 near death experiences. The cars drive so close to other cars, people, cows, everything! Oh well it definitely keeps thing interesting. The food is actually delicious for the most part and I've loved trying all these new things. The place we are staying in is a lot nicer than I was expecting, even though we are sleeping on concrete floors, I honestly don't even mind. I have life so incredibly good compared to these people. We went to a house yesterday where the whole families livelihood depends on the children making little pouches out of newspaper. I just kept thinking of my whole life and I just don't understand how its fair. Then we also went to another house that was very poor and when we got there they gave us coconuts filled with coconut milk and fruit. Honestly I thought the coconut milk was pretty gross and had to choke it down, but just the fact that they would give us something when they have close to nothing really touched me. Our first day at the school was so much fun. It amazes me how willing these girls are to learn and how excited they are about it. I wish I had that same enthusiasm. I didn't know it was possible to feel so much love for girls I met only a day ago. I cannot even explain their pure love and tenderness. Honestly all they want is for someone to love them and give them some attention. Its so frustrating when the girls are talking to me going 500 words per second and with such enthusiasm and animation and I can't understand what they are saying. But it is amazing how far a smile and some hand gestures can go. I didn't have arms the entire day. I constantly had at least 4 girls hanging on me and would not let go. It is so precious! Then that night we went and got fitted for our traditional Indian outfits which was a really scary journey but once we got there it was great. Every single fabric was so intricate and beautiful and I just kept thinking how every single one is hand made and made so carefully. I can't wait to wear mine!! Today was even better than yesterday, I didn't think that was possible. I didn't think the girls would really remember me specifically but sure enough right when we showed up the girls were calling us by name and hanging all over us. Some of the girls even did my hair and put flowers in it, they had to make sure I always looked nice. They are just so sweet. It is just amazing how quickly these girls took up such a massive part of my heart.
I feel like everything is just a giant dream and I constantly need to remind myself to appreciate and be conscience of every single moment. I feel so blessed to be able to be here. I know what we're doing here isn't earth shattering, but I know I am making a difference, even if just for one person.
“We must become the change we wish to see in the world.” -Gandhi
To my family back home I hope all is well and miss you so much! Thank you for everything you are to me and I love you tons!!! Keep livin' the dream!

-Emma Gochner

3 comments:

  1. Emma,
    you just made my day! i know what you mean when you say that you "didn't have arms" because of all the kids clinging to you. i know that these kids don't get a lot of love at home, but what better person to get it from than Emma Gochnour?! we all love and miss you!
    <3
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. emma. i am sitting here with TEARS in my eyes. you are so beautiful and wonderful and i'm so proud of you. i really don't even know what to say besides i love you and you are the most pure tender loving soul in the whole world. miss you emma <3 GEE.
    xoxo amy jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,
    WOW! What an amazing journey! I'm so happy that you have the opportunity to go on a humanitarian mission to such a incredible part of the world. I can just see you sitting there with a big smile on your face while they do your hair!
    I'm sending you lots of love from the Leikam house!
    Be safe and laugh a lot.
    Love, Tracee

    ReplyDelete