Monday, November 21, 2011

I guess I was saying it wrong?


So sometimes just when you think you have it all under control adventure takes a little turn. I learned something yesterday about coming up against an obstacle and what a small change of perspective can make.
So here we are having an extremely successful journey by India standards. We’ve only have lost one bag and we haven’t lost any teens. I even still like them. We leave the bus with our bags for our connecting flight to Kolkata passports in hand and they won’t let us in the airport because we don’t have boarding passes. Well, no kidding we haven’t gone to the check in counter yet, how can we get our boarding passes without going into the ticket counter. So I explain that we have e-tickets and we have to check in to get our boarding passes. Nope. Explain we came in last night and went through customs and now need to check in to get boarding passes for our flight to Kolkata. No go. These men seemed pleasant enough with their rifles and mustaches. Let me try to explain it another way. “See here, (pointing) where the number on the ticket receipt matches the number assigned to a name that indicates this is a valid ticket and we should be allowed to get into the terminal to check in at the ticketing counter...”
“No, this flight was yesterday.” They say. “No,” I explained, “We came to Dehl yesterday and now we need to fly to Kolkata.” Easy explanation. “No this ticket is invalid and the flight was yesterday.” So I thought I’d change my approach a little. I say, “It looks like I don’t have what you need.” “What can I do to make this situation work for both of us.”
Sir you need to go to the counter and get new passes.” Now I’m getting pissed. I’m trying not to lose my cool but I’m really about to lose my cool. I call Rakesh our in country contact. He is just getting to the airport in his cab, maybe 5 minutes.
Now cue angel music....My friend Sara Kime takes the papers I’m holding shows them to the nice man with a gun and proceeds: “See here, (pointing again) where the number on the ticket receipt matches the number assigned to a name that indicates this is a valid ticket and we should be allowed to get into the terminal to check in at the ticketing counter...” She smiles, puts her thumbs up and says, “Thumbs Up?”
“No Problem” he says and we are allowed into the terminal just as Rakesh arrives. Funny how looking at the problem from another angle can make all the difference. On a side note, I have the best adult leaders. 
Greg Stewart


4 comments:

  1. I am laughing super hard right now! I love India. Sarah Kime used her chick magic on that man. You just don't have chick magic Stewie, however you are THE MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for "the Ckickie" it is more then a six sense...it is magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her thumbs are cuter than yours Stewie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete